Sunday, May 27, 2007

The Bicycle Thief.

The well-locked bike sculpture.

This is a bike / bike lock sculpture from Vancouver. This is just the way I sometimes feel about my bike. I want to protect it from whoever it is that steals bikes. I went into a deli near where I am living on Saturday morning to buy milk. I rode my road bike to the deli. Though I would be in the store for, maybe, a minute or so, I was totally afraid to leave my bike outside, and, at the same time, I don't want to lock my bike up. I took my bike into the store and propped it against the wall, grabbed the milk, paid and hurried back outside with my bike. I rode home, lopsided with the milk, and cursed the world of fear and the hyped angst of life.

There is just a lot of fear swirling around. You only have to watch the nightly news for about ten minutes to get the drift of the invasion of fear. I am trying to shake it off, but it grabs me and reduces me to a caricature of a person who has possessions that must be protected. It is the last place I want to visit. This possession protection is crazy and tiring. The sculpture is a great representation of this crazed feeling.

No comments: